twitter
rss

Run your Own Race

A few months ago, I was out running (jogging)through my neighborhood.

I had about a kilometer to go on my path before I needed to turn off
when I noticed a man about a half of a kilo in front of me. I could
tell he was running a little bit slower than me and I thought to
myself, "Good, I'll try to catch him." So I started running faster and
faster.

With every block, I could tell I was gaining on him just a little bit.
A few minutes later, I was only about quarter kilo away, so I really
picked up the pace and started pushing it. I was so determined to
catch up with him that you would have thought I was in the last leg of
the Olympic Games! Finally, I caught up to him and passed him. On the
inside, I felt so good that I had beaten him. (Of course, he didn't
even know 'we' were racing.) But when I got my mind back on what I was
doing, I realized I had missed my turn. I was so caught up in trying
to beat this man I didn't even know that I went nearly six streets
further than I was supposed to. I had to turn around and go all the
way back.

Isn't that what happens in life sometimes? Maybe we're trying to catch
up with someone else - a neighbor, friend or coworker. We get so
wrapped up in the competition trying to outdo them, out dress them, or
trying to prove that we're more important. We spend all this time and
energy going down that path when we should be using it to move toward
our own God-given destiny!

If that's you today, realize that your life would go to a whole new
level if you would just quit competing with everyone around you. It
takes a lot of physical and emotional energy to try to impress people
all day long. But it's very freeing to say, "I don't have to impress
anybody today. I have nothing to prove. I'm secure in who I am. And I
am not going to feel bad if you look better, make more money, or get
more recognition. I don't have to keep up with you; I'm going to run
my own race."

Get free from comparison today so that you can move forward into the
destiny God has in store for you!

Please share this with someone.


"... to be is to do & to do is to be ..."
Descartes(1596-1650) & Voltaire(1694-1778)


0 comments:

Post a Comment